Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bloody gloves

First, to my lil sis, you are the greatest :) I'm glad you like your bear so much! And I will always be there for you even if I am not there in person. To my parents, thank you so much for all of your support and for reading! Aunt Liz and uncle mike! You are reading my blog yay! I hope you like all of my random news haha. Aunt Tricia you are online, this is crazy! I'm so glad you will be able to keep up with my travels online :)

So my story for today is about the hospitals here.... If you come to china make sure you get all of your shots and check ups done before hand because these hospitals are nothing like ours... We have to get a "body check", this is what the chinese call a check up, for the hospitality industry because they don't want people working with food who have crazy diseases. Which I totally understand but we went to this clinic and the outside of it literally looked like an abandoned building.. A lot of lights were burnt out, nurses were wearing gloves thank goodness but instead of regular gloves they were the yellow ones mom uses to wash dishes, and to top it off one nurse was walking around with them covered in blood.. It was the creepiest thing I have ever seen outside of the movies. We were all freaking out because we found out that we had to do a blood test and people that were giving blood samples didn't even get band aids to put on their arms they just had to hold it to keep it from bleeding.. Not cool. Thank goodness we didn't have to go through the tests though bc we didn't have enough money, these tests were 509 rmb and that is almost $100... I was about to tell the girl from HR who took us to just send me home bc I was not about to let anyone take my blood there. After we were done freaking out about what we almost had to go through though, we all felt really bad that the Chinese people only have these kind of places to go when they are sick.

On a lighter note! We have one last day of training tomorrow and our tour of the hotel and then on Friday we start work! We are all very excited about starting in our departments and tonight we got to have dinner with the General Manager in the Shang Palace which is one of the restaurants in the hotel. I am also very excited about my project and being able to assist the hotel in improving communication between the restaurNt staff and the guests.

This is all for now! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia!
    When I saw your caption about bloody gloves I thought maybe O.J. Simpson was staying at your hotel!! Remember - if the glove does not fit, you must aquit! After reading what you wrote about Chinese hospitals, you had best remember to take your Flintstone's vitamins everyday and stay healthy! (or are those contraband??!!)
    Love,
    Aunt Trish

    ReplyDelete